Monday, May 23, 2016

Dining Room Refresh



Ever since painting the main part of our home in BM's Gray Owl, our dining room felt a bit out of place. 
The color we painted the dining room (before painting the rest of the house) was a bolder color called Intellectual Gray by SW. It's actually one of Joanna Gaines' favorite colors...so I figured I would give it a try (we also used it in our master bedroom and liked it). 
It usually reads as a dark muted gray, but because of the lighting in our dining room, it read more as a dark green/sage- which wasn't the color I was hoping for in that space. Intellectual Gray does have a slight green tint to it, but depending on lighting and how you decorate a room, the green undertone can be more obvious- which was the case for our dining room. Undertones in colors can be so tricky sometimes!!



After living with that color on the walls for almost 2 years, I thought it was time for a change. I had been eyeing a beautiful light blue/gray color from Benjamin Moore called Wickham Gray for a while. It's a gorgeous color you guys! 
So I went ahead and purchased a gallon (which I had mixed at Lowe's) and used it not only in our dining room, but also our guest room. Thankfully one gallon was all I needed for both spaces! 

With all the rain we have been having, painting during the weekend was pretty easy.


And our buffet table will go right under the two B/W photos of the girls- which means, yes, I did some rearranging in here as well. :)



Here is a shot of what the older color looked like.



Intellectual Gray doesn't look too bad standing alone, but it did not flow well with the rest of the houses colors- and I wanted that.

And now we finally have better flow between the adjoining rooms and a much lighter and brighter space!



As an aside, I highly recommend both BM's Gray Owl and Wickham Gray. I'm sure there are plenty of photos online you can look through to see how beautiful these colors really are. They are worth a try if you are looking to brighten and update a space.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.