Thursday, January 17, 2013

Half Bathroom Progress....Shelves


Good morning everyone!
After all of this rain, it is a bit chilly here on the east coast.

With that said, I have been able to buckle down and get some of my projects finished and the pictures edited.
First up is our half bathroom which was in need of a little bit of TLC.
It is a really small space, as you will see in the pictures, but I had been wanting to add wall to wall shelves in there for more storage.
I saw this idea of floating wall to wall shelves on another blog called A to Z home stories and was sold! I knew that was exactly what would help solve the storage issues in our half bathroom.

For today, I have some pictures of the process on how we got our shelves up but will save the other pictures of the decorating and final outcome for tomorrow. :)


Above and below are the before pictures of the bathroom.
Isn't it teeny-tiny?! Well because of that, we don't have a ton of option for storage so hanging wall shelves was a great way to go!

Plus, it gives us options to display little nick-knacks that family members have given us over the years.



The lighting in this space isn't great either, but I tried my best to get pictures good enough to post.


 Here is the first wall shelf up and ready.
We wanted to hang 3 of them so we started with our bottom one first.
All of the wood was purchased at Home Depot for about $10.00.
I had the guys cut the wood at HD for free and believe we used one piece.
It measures about 33" from one wall to the other and thankfully the Home Depot guys cutting skills were pretty precise.





 I will spare you the details of how we hung each shelf, but will give the basics.
We used what is called a toggle bolt to help anchor the nails and the corner braces in place- this also makes the shelf sturdy to place things on.
And my hubby drilled 3 holes in the walls for each shelf so we could place our corner braces on the bottom of the shelf.


Here you can see the corner braces a little bit better.
We used one corner brace and toggle bolt on each side of the wall shelf and another for the back of the shelf to give more support.






And in case you are wondering, the paint color we used is called Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams. It's a beautiful green-blue that changes with the lighting as you can tell in these pictures!


Stay tuned for more.
I would love to find out if you have ever hung floating wall shelves before too!


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.