Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thrift Store Mirror

The new mirror was put up today by my handy hubby and we love how it turned out!

To start with, I bought this mirror at the Thrift Store (you can find so many wonderful things there) after spying it for weeks. After much waiting and a little bit of anticipation, I decided to purchase it and knew exactly where I could put it.


Okay, so this is the mirror I found at the Thrift Store recently and I couldn't wait to paint the frame before putting it up on our wall!


I knew the mirror would look great on this empty wall upstairs so I leaned it on our ottoman just to give me a quick idea of how it would look once it was painted and placed on the wall.
Plus, it was a good place to put the mirror until I could actually start painting.  :)


So what did I use to paint this huge mirror's frame?

If you guessed a paint by Sherwin Williams, you would be correct! But what color exactly?

The color is called Accessible Beige, but I did get a small sample of this color at Lowe's (color matched). I didn't want to buy new paint just to paint this mirror, so I looked around the house for something we already had that could work and Accessible Beige was the winner!



It actually looks a little bit like an off white color here but has beige/gray tones which goes well next to our upstairs wall color, Wool Skein.


It took a few coats to get this puppy (a.k.a. the mirror) just right but it was worth all the extra painting needed.


I also used old magazine pages and Frog tape to cover the mirror itself so there weren't any paint spills on the mirror.


After painting, I placed our mirror in a spot where it could dry.


And now for the BIG reveal!!!

My handy hubby hung the mirror up because 1.) It's a pretty heavy piece and 2.) He is better at the whole measuring thing than I am...which is a good thing because I like to hang a lot of things on our walls. 
:)


I love how the paint on the frame ties in with the wall color and the trim!


Please ignore the big ottoman below the mirror!

I am planning on using canvas dropcloth to cover the ottoman and possible doing something special with the top of the ottoman...but that will be for another post at another time. 
:)



Have you hung a mirror up in your home lately?



Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment :

  1. Beautiful, just going to do something similar with my large $7 purchase!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.