Thursday, January 19, 2012

Two for One

Now that my little one is napping, I have time to make a quick post about two things I am working on right now. One is the nursery closet and the second is a clipboard made of fabric that will become wall art. It is going to be fabulous!


So I have been reading about a ton of different ways you can organize a kid's closet, or any closet for that matter, and I thought I would give it a try. Well, I haven't done it yet, but I wanted to post some before pictures of the closet so that when it is complete, I have before and after pictures for you to look at to get the same look if you so choose. Let's start with what the closet looks like today and what it has looked like since we moved in to our home.








So it is kind of an organized mess right now. It doesn't look that bad, really, but we need more storage in the closet because it is the smallest closet in the house and I have a plan.

What I was thinking of doing is adding a second clothing rod under the one that is already in place. Now, I don't know if I will remove the rod that is already there and move it up a little bit more to maximize storage so we can fit a second clothing rack below it, but either way, I would like to fit 2 of them in her closet. I would also like to keep the pink laundry basket on the bottom of the closet and maybe add some storage bins to the left of the laundry basket. These bins would hold toys, a tummy time mat, diaper supplies, etc.

I had also thought about turning the closet into a reading nook, but after talking with my husband about that, we figured it would be best to make the guest room closet a reading nook since that would be a better use of space and the guest room closet has a little bit more room to do that. YAY! :) But that project might not happen for a month or two so I won't have any posts about that yet.

Now back to the nursery closet...here are some pictures I found on the internet that will help me get started with organizing this closet:


Closetmaid 1628 Economy 5-to-8-Foot Closet Organizer White

I love the second image from www.younghouselove.com!



And another picture from their little girls room. I love the idea of a bench storage in the closet. I think I could fit something like that into the closet along with a pretty laundry basket.
I have also seen so many people get rid of the closet doors in bedrooms and replace them with pretty fabric. Not sure we will do that in most of the bedrooms in our house...BUT, I am thinking about doing that in the guest room because I want to turn that closet into a reading nook/clothing storage space.

************************************************

Now on to today's crafty project!
This morning I was trying to figure out what to do with some empy wall space in the guest room. Many ideas were swarming through my head- like place fun pictures on the wall, put up wall art, make my own art, paintings, etc, etc. I finally decided on what to do with that empty wall space this morning. Here is what I came up with:

It all started with an empty wall space next to a white shelf in the guest room.
FYI- this wall shelf was painted white and cost only $4.00 from a nearby thrift store. Again, gotta LOVE thrifting!!!



Some clipboards I had from teaching in Florida and extra fabric I had on hand from a home-made pillow.





What you want to do next is line up the fabric with the clipboard and turn on the hot glue gun. I bought my glue gun at Home Depot for $4.00!!! It is a heavy duty one, but it does the job.











I slipped in a picture of our happy girl. Here she is hanging out with me while I make these quick and easy clipboards. Isn't she beautiful?! And soooo happy. :)

There you have it, folks! A beautiful clipboard ready for wall decoration and it only took about 15-20 minutes total. Even better, it was free since I had everything on hand!

I think this would be such a fun activity to do with little ones, but not as young as my little one. hehe! She will help me some day soon.




 
What I also love about this project is that you can use any fabric you choose and place the clipboards on the wall in a loft, kid's craft space, bedroom, or whatever! How cool is that?


Here is my baby in front of the yellow pillow I made- out of the same fabric I used to make the clipboards...see how this is coming together?
 The fabric is from JoAnn's. Love that place!! The pillow was made a few weeks ago so I don't have any pictures of it...sorry about that. Again, that was before I even thought about making my own DIY blog. :)


I will be posting pictures of the completed guest room sometime in the near future and tomorrow I should have a post about the clipboards on the wall.

Thank you for stopping by!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.